Friday, November 12, 2010

Sticking it to the "hombre"

Normally, I'm a well-tempered guy, but here's an article (from my Public Anthropology course) that I wrote in response to even the possibility of having a national language other than English:

"The thoughts that entered as I considered this matter turned immediately to the founding fathers of this nation - particularly, my ancestry. I, personally, am about as English as you can go without singing "God Save the King," according to my family line, if you choose to ignore some of my Swedish influence, or my Scottish influence. Even then, I don't think that everyone aboard the Mayflower was from London. Such a notion should be considered absurd.

The Founding Fathers worked hard to colonize this nation, whereas our recent Hispanic visitors have not had such luck in giving to the country. True, we have had a lot longer to prove ourselves, but one question that can be asked to all is this: Why did you (or those that brought you) come to this land? The immediate answers that come up are that the Founding Fathers came for freedom - free from kings, free to own land, and so on. Now, may I ask the same of the Hispanics? I would expect that the resounding answer would be this: Better work. Nothing more than a labor market, set up by those that were already here.

That summarizes my answer to whoever wants to come in and reign over the government. As to the official language of the United States, here is my grand finale: Come and take it from my (politically) cold, dead hand."

Take that, pro-espaƱoles!

No comments: