Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh, love for those long departed...

Ever since my call to be a "family history representative," I have been tinkering with the software that the FH library provided for each of us, RootsMagic. Apparently, it has the capability of signing on to New Family Search to find your immediate and extended family ancestry, and downloading it into your pedigree chart. Materials can be changed without worrying about anyone else looking to change it.

Oh, how I am intrigued. I set it to find my 25 generations above me (with four steps down to find the relatives), and I have seen many new and intriguing facts. Metcalfs, Smiths, Woodburys, and Crawfords alike are being found within my family line. I already knew that I was directly related to John Taylor (fourth great-grandfather), but I had no idea that there was so much I did not know about my family.

And still...

I have found that I enjoy the process of finding my family with a certain "lost" fondness that I once had. Perhaps this will become my antidote to my addiction to video games. I would hope so, but there is a limit to how much work is effective inside of my efforts. But, still, I cannot look into my family history without having the decency to work on it as much as I can. However, I can safely say that I can feel FH's warm arms telling me that I will still have my place with it if I pause to leave and go away, or if the power goes out. This was not so with video games (for the most part). I can enter information in RootsMagic and it will save as I go along. Technology is simply an instrument, but, oh how much good it is capable of. And yet, woe, to how much sorrow and grief it causes.

This world is nowhere near being black and white.

No comments: